Ok, so obviously there will be spoilers…but this show has been over for a month now so I think it is ok to talk openly about this season. This season of Thrones was lulling at some points but always wonderful. Every scene was packed with wonderful acting, amazing writing and beautiful sets. Here are my top 5 favorite scenes from this season:
5. Tywin and Olenna have a chat – A scene that never really happened in the books, this wonderful scene was a total battle on screen. Two powerhouses going at it with words and threats instead of swords and knives, this scene saw the balance in power shift from Tywin to Olenna back to Tywin in a matter of minutes. With commentary one what power is and whether homosexuality is a normal thing or an abomination, this scene was beautifully crafted. Not to mention there are some truly comedic moments!
4. Arya Killing a man – We have seen Arya be around death for quite some time now. We have seen her even mistakenly kill a fat stable boy. We have seen her pray for the death of others, seen her take names of people she wants to kill and even seen her ask for death. But in the last episode, we see a stunned, world shattered Arya finally snap and outright murder a man. That, ladies and gentleman, was so cold stuff. She played the part of a lost, hungry little girl and then BOOM, with mastery and precision, stabbed a dude multiple times in the neck. That simple. That awesome.
3. Dany Freeing the Unsullied – Daenarys is someone that is rather boring to me. She is just so, I don’t know, blaaaaah. Especially show Dany. She is preachy and one minded. This season was no different at all. But she does shine in a scene that is ripped pretty much directly from the books. She quietly barters for the Unsullied, listening to the foul tongue trader berate her and call her a whore. She gathers information, realizes how the system works and when the slaves are finally hers, she orders them to kill all the slavers. She basically frees a city, gains an army and makes a name for herself all in one go. The scene is wonderfully shot with the amazingly triumphant music blaring in the background. Really well done.
2. Red Wedding – How is this not number one?! Well, it was really well done. Everything from the look on Roose Bolton’s stone face when Cat pulls back his tunic, Robb’s surprise when he stands up and takes an arrow to the chest, and Caitlyn’s powerful, empty scream at the end of all the madness before he throat is slit. Perhaps the best scenes are the fallout from all this, when we find that it was Tywin who orchestrated the whole thing but will take none of the blame because people will remember it was the Frey’s that committed such a terrible crime. Even Roose Bolton, who personally stabbed Robb to death, is disgusted with Walder Frey. The whole plot was truly brilliant. The scene was as well.
1. Jaime and Brienne take a bath – Perhaps the best piece of acting in season three and one that should at least get NCW a best supporting actor nomination, we finally find out what happened in the throne room 14 or so years ago. We finally get to see the inside of Jaime Lannister, someone who has always deflected everything away from him with either wit, sarcasm or his sword. But we have started to see Jaime lose it, piece by piece, and finally, his secret and his burden he has lived with for so long finally come spilling out. Brienne just sits there with a shocked, un-judging look on her face as Jaime recounts the story of choosing between his oath to a king and his oath to his people. Jaime has been dropping us hints the entire time, by the way, of his burden. He tries to tell Eddard he saw his father and brother burn, he tries to justify how he has only loved one woman and never had an affair, and then there is this quote:
What would you do if you were him? What vow would you forsake? He chose and he has been haunted by it ever since. That scene also served as the death of “The Kingslayer” and the re-birth of Jaime Lannister!
What are your favorite scenes of this past season?